Check Your Battery For Corrosion!!!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Witchadidja
Idling
Name: Brian

Check Your Battery For Corrosion!!!

Postby Witchadidja » July 29th, 2016, 1:32pm

When's the last time you've checked your battery posts and terminal ends for corrosion?
If they look like the pic on the left, keep reading.
Remove the battery cables from the battery terminals by loosening the nut on each cable clamp. Once they are loose, I have always removed the negative terminal first then the positive terminal. The cables may not come off easily, you may have to wiggle it and lift it upwards until the clamp comes off the terminal post.
Sometimes, especially if there is a lot of corrosion, you may need to pry them up with a screwdriver or pull upwards with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to touch any tools against any metal surfaces while doing this. This will cause a short, which isn't good for anything.
Next, I would examine the battery cables and ends for excess wear or corrosion. Here's what mine looked like on the 2013.

Should the corrosion appear extensive, replace the cables and clamps to avoid future problems.
Next, secure the loose cables so that they don’t accidentally flop back onto the terminals or anything else.
Depending on the amount of corrosion, you may be able to just pour some baking soda directly onto the posts.
Then use a brush of some type, wire or a toothbrush works well (if the corrosion isn't terrible) sprinkle or dip them in water and use it to scrub the baking soda into the terminal posts and cable clamps.
Might want to wear some safety glasses for this part. Getting that crap into your eyes isn't a good thing.

If the toothbrush isn’t doing the job, Use a battery terminal cleaner brush on it. Also shine up the insides of the cable clamps by using the clamp cleaner that usually comes attached to the terminal brush.
Dry everything off with a clean, disposable, lint-free rag.
Smear grease or petroleum jelly on the posts to slow down the formation of corrosive deposits. Make sure you cover all exposed metal surfaces on the battery posts, battery cables, and clamps.
Replace the positive clamp first and then replace the negative clamp. Tighten them down with the proper sized wrench.
Here's awesome cleaning job I done on the Silverado.
Replace the rubber boot or plastic shield that covers the positive terminal.

If you don't have some of these tools and supplies readily available, there are some cleaning kits that you can purchase, like this one.

2009 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L 3:73
2013 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L 3:42

fisger8

Re: Check Your Battery For Corrosion!!!

Postby fisger8 » August 1st, 2016, 12:22pm

Nice write up. I can't tell you the number of vehicles I saw when working at Auto Zone that came in with massive corrosion on the batteries. Often times that was the only issue they were really having.

Dave
Idling
Name: #32

Postby Dave » August 3rd, 2016, 3:26am

Huge difference!
How does this compare to the old coca cola trick?

Witchadidja
Idling
Name: Brian

Postby Witchadidja » August 3rd, 2016, 6:11am

Cola never really seemed to really work that well for me.
Remember the soda is a base to the acid.

2009 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L 3:73
2013 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L 3:42

Uncle Vinny

Postby Uncle Vinny » August 6th, 2016, 4:17am

The baking soda is also a great way to clean the terminals. However, many people think that just the concoction (mixture) of water and baking soda poured over the terminals will do the trick. Make sure you do as Brian shows and use a wire or toothbrush (preferably your soon to be ex-wife's or neighbor's) in order to scrape off the excess corrosion and then apply your inhibitor over the terminals.
Build thread: The Sportsman

You can fix anything automotive with a floor jack, two stands, channel locks, Mexican speed wrench and duct tape.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1